Visual Literacy: Class-created Success Criteria

After analysing the best visual literacy comments from the past several assignments, our class has come up with success criteria. Each group’s criteria is posted in the comments below; our consolidated criteria are in this post.

Learning Intentions

• I can use various strategies to understand visual text.
  • I can think critically and reflectively to explore ideas within and beyond texts.
  • I can identify the elements of visual texts.

Success Criteria

Block D

• I can describe a visual text fully and completely, including the background, shapes and expressions and other smaller details, using descriptive language.
  • I can explain what I think is going on in the text and support my explanation with specific details from the text.
  • I can identify parts of the text that confuse me or for which I don’t have an explanation and share my thoughts on them.
  • I can write carefully, checking my spelling and grammar.

From this point on, when you’ve posted your visual literacy comment, you need to self-assess it according to this criteria – either by posting your self-assessment as a comment to your V.L. one, or by writing down your self-assessment and handing it in, if you’re not comfortable with other people seeing it. Use the following template and write a comment assessing yourself on each of the required criteria:

1. (detailed description)
    2. (what’s going on)
    3. (confusions or questions)
    4. (spelling and grammar)

Block A

• I can describe a visual text fully and completely, including the background and smaller details, using descriptive language.
    • I can explain what is going on in the text, making sense of it in a way that considers most, if not all, of the details in the image and hypothesizing logical explanations for those details that don’t fit my explanation.
    • I can make connections between the image and my prior knowledge to help make sense of the image.
    • If I want to go further, I can do research on elements of the picture to help me create a more accurate explanation of what is going on in it.

1. (detailed description)
    2. (what’s going on)
    3. (connections)
    [and, if done]
    4. (research)

10 thoughts on “Visual Literacy: Class-created Success Criteria”

1. Group Josh,Ish,Amrita, Chase,Lena

1.Detailed description.

2. Explainition of picture.

3. Make sense of every detailed in the picture.

4.Say what you don’t know, what your curios about.

2. Based on what we saw in the comments section of the visual literacy post from January 9th, John, Jake, Jimmy, Alissa and I have all agreed that the following four points make a good comment for visual literacy:

It should be descriptive.
    It should describe what is in the picture.
    The commenter should say what they think the picture is about and if they can tell where it was taken.
    There should be some research if you want to go an extra mile. For example in the post from January 9th, you could research where Bastille is, if you wanted to.

3. My group and I were reviewing the visual literacy on January 3rd, 2017. Or the “sky lights.” We’ve decided that the following are important criteria for achieving success in visual literacy.
    -having descriptive words, so the reader can picture the image in their head.
    -connections
    -not only describing the biggest part of the picture, look at backgrounds and smaller details.
    -reflect on the first impression the picture gave you, and what caught your attention first.
    -in one comment, I saw someone write not only what the comment could be, but reasons why it couldn’t as well.

4. The criteria we got was from the visual Literacy of February 6th with the chandelier. Our success criteria are: detailed, insightful, what you should be writing about( the proper criteria for visual literacy), and basic grammar.

5. Group: Satwinder, Dallas, Jake, Luck, and Nak.
    In my group of criteria was discriptive good, vocab, explaining from the picture car sheep NOT a GOAT, because Jake keep saying that this sheep is not a goat even the body of outside is really curly.What we have to work on is to find more about this picture and that is all it for Visual Litersy.

6. I see a plane that has crashed in the middle of the street and people crowded around and fire hoses on the ground in the snow.

7. In this photo I see a line of police blocking people from crossing a line, the people have horses and the faces I can see look like First Nations. It looks like they could possibly be on a field or a road that is not busy. You can also see a power line in the background. I think that this photo is of a group of people possibly first nations and they are trying to get into a land we’re they are not welcome, the police lined up are trying to stop them. I think that this happend in spring because the sky is very clear and the grass is green.

Success criteria

– detailed description of photo (e.g. Objects, writing, facial expressions)
    – Revised
    – Speculation of what you think it is

8. Group: Col Brennan Maaz Isaac

Detailed comment that covers the whole picture.

A minimum of 100 words for each comment.

Correct grammar, spelling and puncuation.

No run on sentences.

9. Criteria
    Detailed
    Good length
    Different opinions
    Creative
    Not pointing out the obvious
    To give own opinion
    In depth
    Punctuation
    Spelling
    Paragraph

10. I think having an overall of what you think the picture is about all together is important. You should add in some things that confuse you or don’t go along with your final altogether thoughts. Having detailed description of what you see with maybe colours or shapes is crucial because it is a visual literacy about what you see in the picture. Putting reasons for why things might be there throughout the comment makes the reader get an idea of your thoughts. Try to include the background/ where it’s taking place. If you can I think it would be cool to put the emotion in the picture like if it seems like a happy or sad event.

Group: Hannah, Arianna, Kaelyn, Megan