To Write (a blog) or Not To Write (a blog)

In the comments section, the students in Writing 10, who have been blogging for almost a month now, give you advice on how to write entertaining, engaging blogs that encourage conversation; and how to write thoughtful, interesting comments that continue the conversation.

(You could also, of course, look at “I’m a Blogger!” and “Continue the Conversation” up at the top of the main class blog for suggestions.)

Writing 10 students? What do they need to know?

13 thoughts on “To Write (a blog) or Not To Write (a blog)”

1. Remembering to blog every Friday has proven to be difficult for me. I would come to class on Fridays and start freaking out because I hadn’t blogged yet. What helped me is setting a reminder to sometime during Thursday saying that I have to blog. Topics are also difficult to come up with, so if you can’t seem to find the right one for you, you can go to https://www.theedublogger.com/2015/10/15/50-ideas-for-student-blogging-and-writing-online. For ideas.

2. 1. Pick a topic that actually interests you. If you aren’t enjoying it, neither will your reader.
    2. Pre-write your blogs so that all you have to do is edit and upload by the due date.
    3. Remember to leave comments so Ms. Smith doesn’t hunt you down.

3. So first, you’ll probably want a topic to write about, pick a powerful topic that will trigger people to respond such as “Is everything in America too expensive?” Or something like that, make sure you’re interested in the topic and make sure you could write a good length quality post about it, don’t write something like “Five Seconds of Summer Sucks, Now Argue About It.” not only will you not score bad points with your teacher, most people won’t comment on a 4 word sentence.

4. I think if you keep a schedule for yourself and write your blog the day before it’s due. This way in class you can go over it and then post it. To find a topic, what I normally do is go on a website with debate topics. Then choose one that you can argue for. Then just kinda write about it. For commenting, just kinda go through them and pick a blog that you can say something about and actually offer a complex agreement or disagreement that you think will get people talking.

5. Well, first and foremost, a blog must strike up conversations in order to be an eligible blog (from what we have to do). You then need to have an interesting idea or topic to write about.

Some good examples are something a majority can relate to, like the current government, or global issues. But don’t just rant about it; no one likes a blog where you just say “omg I hate this song because it hurts my feelings!!” Put it as “I’d say this song is good, but in my opinion, it just lacks my interests.”

Now, for comments, you have to give a full statement. Think of it as a full sentence instead of point form. “Sure, I agree”, or “Nah man, your wrong” would simply not do. If everything is correctly written, your blog and comments should be at least 2+ paragraphs long.

6. I’m honestly flopping at blogging. My greatest piece of advice I can offer you to kind of not fail, is to keep writing. Pick a topic that you’re sort of enthusiastic about and keep blabbering about it. Talk about it like it your life depends on it because you don’t want Ms. Smith asking you about it. Also make it short, because nobody is going to scroll past your massive essay! If you’re talking about a super serious topic, add some humour to lighten up the mood because the reader will be fooled and will keep reading. At the very end, add a thoughtful question that reflects on your topic and is not biased. But make it simple where enough people will answer. You’re welcome.

7. My advice is that if you get an idea for a post, don’t tell yourself that you’ll write it down later. Nowadays, we all have our phones with us all the time, so just pull out your notes app and write down any ideas you get. Even if you think it’s a stupid idea for a blog post, it may become great once you build on it. Whether you are on a bus, or in a restaurant, write any ideas that come to you

8. Do not get behind on your blogs!! Trust me! Stay on top of things. Nothing worse than cramming 3 blogs in the night before you get an i form sent home!! When you’re commenting on blogs.. do not be rude. dont put other blogs down or call them stupid. Also, do not forget the username or password to your blogs. It makes it extremely difficult to blog if you can’t sign in! Best of luck blogging!

9. First of all, you should write about something you are interested in or have a strong opinion about. This topic should also be something that people can share their own opinions on. Pick topics that are well know by a majority of people.

When you are commenting the most crucial thing is to be respectful. It is perfectly fine to disagree, but you shouldn’t comment anything that would be considered rude. You probably wouldn’t appreciate people saying disrespectful things on your blog so don’t do the same to them.

10. When writing a blog have a plan and make sure the post is organized. Take an idea that you can write about and put the events in order. Make sure to reread the post as many times as needed so that the whole blog has a flow. Also make sure to keep your audience in mind when writing, that way you can make it more interesting and captivating. Lastly choose a title that relates to the piece and gives the audience an idea of what your going to be talking about. Most importantly make sure your post is interesting and reflects you.

11. To me, writing blogs is really difficult. I find it really hard to find a topic that interests me enough to write about and engages lots of readers. I’ve ended up writing a blog that I’m very happy about, so my advice is to not overthink a topic. Just write what you feel represents you and your opinions.

12. The worst thing you can write as your title Is ” My Blog Post”. Choose something that will create a discussion or perhaps an appropriate argument, write about something that you are passionate about or want to encourage in your society. Make sure you don’t use slang words such as “gonna” in your post, because your blogging is suppose to improve your writing skills. Use emphasis with italics and punctuation, end your post with a question and most importantly post on your blogs on time (every Friday for writing 10).

13. I think writing 10 students need to know how to improve their writing, that at some point you just get better with practice. Knowing that you are strong and weak in certain points, and practice is the best solution to improvement. It not always about the method or style you use but how much effort you put into it.