Student Blogging Challenge: Week One

(Crossposted to my senior classes’ blog.)

Each week, for the Student Blogging Challenge, there are four steps:

You’ll be able to read the week’s blog post at this website and follow the instructions for the week. I’ll also post a link to the current task here on our class blog, along with any clarifications I have for you.

This week, our first of the challenge, begins – unsurprisingly – with tasks related to introducing ourselves to the world. I’ve already given you time to create your blogs, set them up how you like, and write a post introducing yourselves to your audience (and if you haven’t done all of that, you need to finish quickly), but the tasks this week will help you create a stronger online presence. Read the challenge week one blog post, and then choose from the following activities (at least one from each section):

An avatar, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, is a photographic representation of you that is used in games or other online venues. Mine, as you can see in any of the comments I’ve posted, is this headshot:

You might want to choose an image that represents you and your interests or adapt a photo into a cartoon-like image that represents you, using one of the sites suggested in the week one challenge blog post.

Your second step is to create an About page that gives your audience some idea of who you are and what they can expect to read about on your blog. I include a brief bio in the Biography section of my profile, which shows at the bottom of my blog, but I also have a more detailed About Me page on my professional blog. When you’re done, post the link to the post or About Me page in the form at the bottom of the Student Blogging Challenge Week One post. Remember that the link (also called the URL) is not just the one to your blog, but the one to the specific post or page you want people to visit. Not, for example, https://thebeautifulquestion.edublogs.org but rather https://thebeautifulquestion.edublogs.org/2018/10/07/student-blogging-challenge-week-one/.

Finally, please visit and comment on posts not only by people in our class, but also by those from other schools and even other countries. See Continue the Conversation for how to write engaging and useful comments (and you can check out I’m a Blogger! for more information about writing interesting blog posts or Coding for Bloggeeks to learn how to use HTML coding in your posts, if that interests you).